Friday, January 16, 2009

I Used To Be Like Phillip Rivers, But Then I Changed.


On the CBS sports show, Bill Cowher was asked,"Coach, who do you think out of the 2004 draft is the best quarterback? Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, or Ben Roethlisberger?" Bill Cowher said,"That's easy...Ben Roethlisberger."

As a teacher and owner of my own business, I am the quarterback of my team. I run the offense when I teach and as many of you know, I aspire to be just like Ben Roethlisberger......so do many little 10 year old jersey school boys who used to wear Eli Manning's jersey--hahaha. But in my 2008 season, I was like Phillip Rivers. Phillip Rivers is a great quarterback for sure, but he commits a lot of personal mistakes with his actions and words. He plays the game well but he tends to be overzealous and passionate-even taunting fans of the opposing team. It seems he means well but when he opens his mouth he gets himself into trouble. He's able to inspire his teammates and was able to turn a losing season around and make it to the playoffs. Those close to him really know that he means well. He has spontaneity to keep plays alive and responds to things in the moment, often throwing off his back foot which for most quarterbacks is an ungrounded thing to do. He's trained well but he still lost to Ben Roethlisberger in the playoffs.


Ben Roethlisberger is impeccably groomed as a quarterback and as a leader. Last year, in my Phillip Rivers year, I started out with a lot of personal skill, I received certifications in yoga anatomy and prenatal yoga to add to my long list of prior yoga trainings. I had a studio in the works, worked for a thriving studio, and at a busy exclusive gym. But then things began to fall apart. The studio had to close because the neighbors in the vicinity protested the opening of a studio with its own parking lot in their neighbohood, I left the thriving studio because of issues with the owner, and I was in trouble at the exclusive gym that I worked at because I told a very disruptive student to "shut up". No matter what I did to save myself, it wasn't working. I had to scramble but i still got sacked. When things hit bottom, I decided to start again at the beginning. Mybiggest strength, like Pillip Rvers' biggest strength, is the ability to interest and inspire people while having fun playing the game that we play. Lttle by little, my class attendances began to improve as I had a renewed interest in making my subject matter fun but relevent to the students. I would say I ended the season making it to the playoffs thanks to mid-season coaching by the Iyengar Institute.

If I'm to make it to the "yogic Superbowl" i'm going to have to respond to situations like Ben Roethlisberger responds. If he's losing, he gives it his all and learns immediately from his mistakes. If he's winning, he's humble. He's knowledgable as a leader, not a braggard, and kind to his teammates, fans , and the opposing team's fans. He understands that winning comes from his actions toward others. He thinks before before he acts and when he acts it is with "Steeler Diplomacy". He has outstanding karma to be in the situation that he's in. This is a practice. Developing karma like his takes complete participation and mindfulness in farming correct seeds in thought, word, and deed. In the Hatha Yoga Pradipika, Swami Svatmarama said, "Constant practice alone is the secret of success." Changing karma, as well as changing anything about ourselves requires us to let go of the way we used to be and the reactions we used to have. Being different and having different outcomes are very possible. Last night in class, I had students practice viparita salabhasana (see picture). This is not something I would normally do because for so long I had a certain style of sequencing asanas that worked well for me. But this pose is a jolt out of my comfort zone, as well as the students' comfort zone. It is a totally invigorating and provocative pose and it has after-effects that just make you want to get up off your ass and play in your own version of the Super Bowl. It makes you want to write an entry about Ben Roethlisberger, Phillip Rivers, Swami Svatmarama, karma, and viparita salabhasana all at the same time. Now, you try it.

No comments: